Earlier we talked about whether it was safe to buy ride on toys for infants. We discussed the fact that ride on toys stimulate developmental skills, motor skills, and observation skills. So your next question may be: what kind of ride on toys do I buy for my 1 year old that will stimulate?
I can’t resist telling you about the Radio Flyer Rock and Bounce Pony because this is the very first ride on toy that I bought for my granddaughter and it’s really an awesome product.
For Anna’s first birthday I wanted to get her something that she’d relate to me. Since I’m a horseback rider, my first thoughts were to get her a classic wooden rocking horse. Once I saw the Radio Flyer Rock and Bounce Pony I was hooked so guess what she got instead? These are a few of the things that I love about it:
- First of all, it’s just adorable and it’s cuter in person than in any picture. It’s incredibly soft just like a horse (Anna hugs it frequently!). There are two styles, one that makes noise and one that doesn’t. I bought the one that makes horse noises. I like the sounds but some people find them annoying so if they bother you, you can just turn it off. The kids will love the noise, I guarantee you!
- The Radio Flyer Rock and Bounce Pony sits low to the ground so you don’t have to worry that the younger kids are sitting too high.
- It’s very quiet and doesn’t make any squeaking noises. The days of visible springs that get caught in your child’s clothing are gone. It moves in two directions: it rocks back and forth and it bounces up and down so there’s some variety in the ways it can be ridden.
- The fabric body is washable and can be removed so you can just toss it in the washer. This is a very important feature for moms.
- And my favorite feature is the ears – they make crinkly noises when you touch them. Anna loved the ears and spent more time grabbing them than she did bouncing when she first got the toy.
There’s really only one aspect of the Radio Flyer Rock and Bounce Pony that I didn’t like:
I was a little disappointed that there wasn’t a safety belt for the younger kids. There’s a belt with the model that doesn’t have sound so one would assume that there would be one with the sound variety. Since my granddaughter was just a year old her feet didn’t quite reach the stirrups. Not having the belt didn’t prevent her from having fun and she very quickly grew into the toy but I do wish there had been a safety belt that first month or two. If your child is a little older or a little taller this won’t be an issue for you.
The Radio Flyer Rock and Bounce Pony with sound is a great ride on toy for kids aged 1 or older. They are so incredibly cute in person. This grandmother is slacking off – for the life of me I can’t find a picture of Anna on hers. I think I was always too busy playing rodeo and swinging the lasso with her to bother taking a picture!
Originally posted 2010-01-10 13:54:30. Republished by Blog Post Promoter